Monday, December 17, 2007

The day we climbed Sentinal

Sankin Bay


Sentinal Peak in the distance




Plain and lakes on Unimak Island



Roundtop, Unimak and the beginning of the Aleutian Islands



Sentinal's summit, Ikatan Peninsula, and in the distance the Pacific



We have been looking for the opportunity to hike to the top of Sentinal Peak since we got here. The first months we were distracted by the over-abundance of new sights and activities. Then one day we made a deal to head for the mountain the next time we awoke to clear skies. That morning came the very next day. It was sunny, crisp and the hills were covered with fresh snowfall. Perfect. No reason to delay, so off we went.

It was slow going at times in the foot or so of snow. The sun was melting the snow's surface and producing a crunchy layer for us to stomp through. Being our first substantial snow, the land seemed quite changed to us, in it's new white cover. Inde was, as you might suspect, beside herself. Snow just may be her favorite thing and she lost little momentum even when swallowed whole by the drifts.

The last 200 feet or so were a bit hairy, at least for me. Bob practically skipped to the top, while I on the other hand slowly clawed my way up. It was pretty steep at this point and the combination of rock skree and ice gave me little sense of security. Eventually I hauled myself up and was able to see over the peak, what a view! I was looking down at Sankin Bay, over Ikatan Peninsula to the Pacific, across to Roundtop and down a great portion of Isanotski Strait, heading to the Bering Sea. The winds were biting and Inde and I were cuddled together, more for fear of slipping off the mountain than for warmth. Bob was snapping photos left and right, making me a nervous wreck. And now it was time to climb down, oh--I hadn't even thought of that yet. Well, I will say this: It was much slower on the way down. Part of the problem, I feel I must explain, is that I was wearing the most ridiculous boots imaginable. Somewhere, someone invented snowboots that zip up instead of tying and I happened to come across a pair. Those zippers are senseless and I do not recommend them for hiking! Once down those icy 200 feet, it was easy going, sliding down a great portion of the way on our bottoms.








Headed back home.


2 comments:

cweih said...

These pictures took our breath away. Hope you all are doing well!

Eliza, Chris, and Wesley

Hamel said...

I spent the winter there 5 years ago but never had what it takes to get to the top. That's a pretty good achievement.

David Hamel