Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Harvesting The Bolete

Boletus vs. Leccinum?
Our friend was able to help us realize that we have not been harvesting The King Bolete. However, we are not able to positivly id our mushroom with the books here and online sources. Any ideas?

An afternoon's partial find


Now comes the hard part


Upon further reading..."The King bolete is one of the most desirable of the boletes and highly prized any place in the world it can be gathered. Consistency is like that of a raw potato and the flavor is excellent."
Lucky us.









I think mushroom hunting might be my passion. Really. It is the most entertaining of walks, to be in search of this delicious treat. Somewhere between a scavenger hunt and hide and seek. Once I get started I cannot stop and often I have collected more than I can reasonably carry. And given Bob and I, a lot of cleaning work to do later. It is all worth it when dinner time comes. There are other shrooms around, but it is hardly as exciting if you don't get to eat your find.

No comments: