Monday, October 1, 2007

A Moonbow?



Walking down to the beach last night to turn off the freezer, I noticed, through the mist, darkness, and lashing wind a faint light angling upward from the shore on the opposite side of the strait. Was it a reflection? The only light was the rising moon behind me, still blocked from my view by clouds. The only other source of light I could imagine might be from far up the valley behind False Pass, and this light would have to be situated further to the right for it to be coming from there. Imagining that it might be coming from the moon, I either saw or willed the sight of colors. The picture shows the colors better since it was a 13 sec shot. Anyway, this is a "moonbow." Not often seen but basically the same thing as a rainbow. Last night we had sustained winds of 50mph, almost all night long.

No comments: